Tuesday, March 27, 2012

A Lovely Sauce Boat

I collect Royal Copenhagen Blue Flowers Curved China and when I saw this sauce boat on eBay going for cheap, with no bids yet, I wondered what could be wrong with it.
Well, it has a teeny chip on the bottom edge of the boat itself but seeing it's attached to the plate, it's really not noticeable so I bid on it in the last 20 minutes and won!

    Two weeks later it came through customs, in the mail, straight from it's home country of Denmark.
I was thrilled with it - the Blue Flowers pattern, although similar to the newer pieces, IS slightly different.  After checking the maker marks, I discovered it was made in the 1880's sometime.
The hand painted pattern has changed a few times since it was first made in the late 1700's so this did not bother me at all.
I was now the owner of a piece of history and I wondered who'd owned it and used it over the past 100 years in Denmark.
I fell in love with this sauce boat at first glance with it's hand painted blue flowers, faded gold edges and delicate embossed basketweave.
I can't wait to use it at future family dinners!
I even had a friend who doesn't really like blue, ask me if she could use it at some of her dinners too, it is just that lovely in person.

I love old china - it has a quality to it unmatched by most of today's china makers.  But I do have to say the newer Royal Copenhagen china is just as well made and just as beautiful.

No comments:

Post a Comment