Wednesday, November 18, 2009

Gold Leaf Details


Sometimes I feel I'll never get this table done! Here is the final step before I can call it done and set it on the ground (off the card table it is currently elevated on so I can work on it eye level) and use it for breakfast, reading or more likely, a cat perch in the window. Gold leaf details. I bought the faux nailhead trim from doityourselfchic.com - it comes white, flexible and ready to mold on to your project. Zap it in the microwave for 10 seconds to soften it and then glue it on. I first painted the areas to be gilded with a yellow ochre primer used in gold leafing. The gold leaf I am using is the composite leaf which is more affordable. But since it is not all gold, it will tarnish over time unless coated with a lacquer. All you do is coat the surface you want gold leafed with a quick sizing glue - let it dry for an hour or so and then apply the leaf. The photo I took was before I had a chance to smooth the leaf out so it looks rough. Once dry, take a brush and gently sweep away the loose gold that did not adhere to sizing and smooth down what is left and you're left with a little gilded glam on your piece. I love Swedish Gustavian design and a piece of white furniture with a little gilded detail on it speaks to me and I offer it up as my own version of Gustavian.

No comments:

Post a Comment